Friday, December 18, 2015

Vegan Pumpkin-Coconut Bread Tutorial

So here I am...back after a long silence!
My semester has been so busy that I have not had time to post. However, I have crafted some stuff, so I will slowly try to update my blog with my summer/fall projects and with my current ones as well.

The holidays are here, and I found a great recipe for a healthy spiced bread that I wanted to share.

I found the original recipe at cakemerchant.com and I modified it slightly to our taste. I like that it is a "one bowl batter" so it's super quick to measure, mix and bake. Low maintenance food is my favorite!

(Makes one LARGE plumcake loaf, or a regular loaf + 6 muffins)

INGREDIENTS:

1.5 cups flour
1.5 cups dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup cooled melted coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Garnish: 1 tbsp cinnamon sugar and coconut flakes (or shredded)


I added all my dry ingredients to the bowl: flour, baking soda, salt, sugar (I ran out of brown sugar so I added some regular organic sugar from Costco, right side of the bowl) and the spices...


...and mixed well.


Then I added my wet ingredients: pumpkin, coconut milk and melted oil...


...and mixed well.


My coconut milk was mostly solid, so I added some water until I got a batter with the right consistency. This batter is on the heavy side! I then added the shredded coconut and mixed well.


At this point I poured the batter into my loaf silicone mold. I love these molds as nothing sticks to them and it's super easy to peel the cakes from them retaining perfect shapes! Also, no buttering/greasing needed with those pans. Thumbs up to that!


I then sprinkled some coconut flakes to the top (shredded coconut can be used as well)...


...and I sprinkled some cinnamon sugar too.


I baked at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes (it will bake quicker at sea level) and that was it!


This is a great coffee cake for the holidays; it works well in a muffin form too. The muffins do cook quicker, since they are so much smaller. To make sure I was not burning them, I checked them often (around the hour mark) by inserting a wooden skewer into the center. When the skewer comes out clean, they are ready. 


Enjoy your holiday season! 








No comments:

Post a Comment